Phony calls from the IRS have been on the rise in recent years, and tax season is when they are at their height. The IRS stresses all taxpayers to be on the lookout for callers representing to be IRS agents.
Be Aware of Phony IRS Calls During Filing Season
As people are busy filing their taxes, scammers are also busy trying to take advantage of taxpayers during this busy time of year. Taxpayers should be aware of several types of tax scams, but phone scams start to increase during the beginning of tax season and then remain active throughout the remainder of the year. This scam generally works by:
- Scammers, call taxpayers, impersonate IRS agents, and tell them they owe taxes and face arrest if they don’t pay.
- The scammer may leave a message asking taxpayers to call back to clear up a tax matter or face arrest.
- When taxpayers call back, the scammers often use threatening and hostile language.
- The thief demands that the taxpayers pay their tax debts with a gift card, other pre-paid cards or a wire transfer.
Taxpayers who receive these phone calls should:
- Hang up the phone immediately.
- Report the call to TIGTA using their IRS Impersonation Scam Reporting form or by calling 800-366-4484.
- Report the number to firstname.lastname@example.org; put “IRS Phone Scam” in the subject line.
Taxpayers should remember that the IRS does not:
- Call taxpayers demanding immediate payment using a specific payment method. Generally, the IRS first mails a bill to the taxpayer.
- Threaten to have taxpayers arrested for not paying taxes.
- Demand payment without giving taxpayers an opportunity to question or appeal the amount owed.
Ask about our new client promotions today!
At Horizon Expat Tax we are happy to provide the following quality services:
- U.S. taxes for taxpayers worldwide
- U.S. Tax services for individuals immigrating to the U.S.
- Tax preparation and advisory for U.S. non-residents with U.S. reporting requirements (temporary U.S. work, U.S. rental property, etc)
- Small business tax compliance, advisory, and bookkeeping services
Any tax advice herein is based on the facts provided to us and on our interpretation of tax legislation as it reads at the time the advice is provided. Tax law is subject to continual change, at times on a retroactive basis and may result in incremental taxes, interest or penalties. We are not responsible for updating our advice for changes in law or interpretation after the date the advice is provided. Every tax situation is different. We are not responsible for the tax implications to any individual or entity that may act on this advice.